Hemant Singh is an IP litigator, Founder and Managing Partner of Intellectual Property Law Firm INTTL ADVOCARE. He is also a registered patent agent. He was admitted to Bar in 1984 and handled over 2500 IP litigations in various courts all over India involving contentious and complex issues in the field of intellectual property such as claim construction and coverage vis-à-vis disclosure as well as inventive step and test of obviousness in the field of Patents; concept of prior use vis-à-vis overseas brand owner and Indian prior user; trade mark usage vis-à-vis fair use in the field of trade mark infringement including use of trade mark by ancillary industry and in comparative advertising; protection of shape marks as well exclusion of functional and utilitarian shape as trade mark; injunction against parallel import of goods; estoppel in respect of prosecution history of trade marks, patents etc.
His area of law practice includes trade marks, patents, designs, copyright, trade secrets, geographical indications, competition laws, IT laws, etc. With world-wide diverse clientele, he represents several of Fortune 100 and 500 Companies in the field of pharmaceuticals, foods and beverages, liquor, garments, cosmetics, FMCG, fashion accessories, computer software, telecommunication, media, electronics, automobiles, biotechnology etc.
He has been actively participating in the growth of valuable jurisprudence in the field of IP through various amicus briefs as well as through leadership of various IP committees of various international IP associations globally. He represents INTA as counsel in their first ever Amicus brief before Supreme Court of India in the case involving Parallel Import issue.
Awards and Recognitions
- Ranked in 'IP Stars' by (Managing IP) 'Trade Mark Prosecution' and 'Trade Mark Contentious' in their 2022 ranking.
- Recognized by WTR1000 as a recommended individual in 'enforcement and Litigation' in its 2022 edition.
- Recognized by Legal Era as the 'Leading Lawyer Champion' for the Intellectual Property practice area.
- Recognized amongst the Top 100 IP Practitioners in India by AsiaIP
- Recognized among the top 50 legal icons by India Business Law Journal (IBLJ).
- Recognized by Asian Legal Business as ALB India Top IP lawyers, 2021.
- Recognized and ranked as Band 1 practitioner by the Chambers and Partners, 2022 and 2021, for Intellectual Property: Litigation in India.
- Recognized as Global Leader in IP - Trademarks 2021; Global Leader - Life Sciences - Patent Litigation; and Thought Leaders - India - IP - Trademarks 2022 by Who's Who Legal.
- Recognized as Patent & Trademark Star, 2021 by IP STARS.
- Enlisted in the Forbes Legal Powerlist 2020 and 2021 as one of the 'Top Managing Partners' above 10 years' experience in Intellectual Property Rights.
- Recognized as 'Litigation Star' for Intellectual Property Rights by Benchmark Litigation, Asia Pacific, 2021.
- Recognized as a "Global Leader 2020" by World Trademark Review.
- Received the GIPC Award for Innovation and IP, 2020
- Awarded by ASSOCHAM for his significant contribution towards promoting IPR, 2018
- Received the Best Outside Counsel Award 2014 for the category "Best Trade Mark Counsel" by Novartis Pharmaceuticals, May 2015 At INTA, San Diego